Tuesday, February 24, 2015

{a few lists}

It's been a crazy couple of weeks around here, but really great crazy. Crazy great.

I've also been crying a lot, but I think that's mostly just because being a mom makes you a big old softie. Here is a list of things that have made me cry this week:

1. The news
2. Finding Nemo
3. Sullivan existing (happy tears)
4. Finding out that Mrs. Wolowitz passed away (I don't even watch The Big Bang Theory anymore, I just heard about it on Facebook)
5. The news again
6. The song Welcome by Hey Rosetta
7. Two different episodes of Family Matters
8. Like, pretty much everything else as well

So, mostly nothing important or tragic. It's as if my heart is ever so slightly too big for my body now and kind of overrides everything else going on in there. It's a little inconvenient though. I see a sunbeam and I'm all, "WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MOMENT! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD!" Tears.

And Barclay's like, "What did I do? Are you okay? What happened?"

Hyperbole, a little, but it's almost like that.



Anyway. I segued (not to be confused with "segway", a very green and hilarious way to get around your Bahamian resort). I was going to tell you about my crazy great weeks. I could make another list?

A list of things that made these past couple of weeks crazy great:

1. It's free coffee week at McDonald's! As such, I'm writing this at my dining room table with a little bowl of chocolate chips and a cup of free McDonald's coffee. I'm listening to music and working on stuff, uninterrupted, because...

2. ...Sullivan takes naps now! Like, real, predictable naps! For the first 13 months of his life, he was pretty disinterested in sleep. We kind of had to trick him into it, using whatever means necessary. If he fell asleep in the car, I drove until he woke up. I was waking up a billion times in the night to beg him to shut his eyes.

We tried every possible 'method', and he hated them all. Some days he'd have a five minute nap and call it good, some days he didn't nap at all. Occasionally, he'd take a nice, long nap and I'd be overjoyed about it, but it was impossible to tell from day to day, week to week, month to month, what we were in for, and I'd often waste the rare long naps because I didn't know how much time I had.

Then, last week, he took a two hour nap at exactly 11 o'clock, and then did the same thing again the next day, and the next day, and the next day. I, like a crazy person, took hundreds of pictures of him sleeping and kept texting Barclay to update him on the Situation: "HE'S STILL ASLEEP! IT'S BEEN TEN MINUTES AND HE'S STILL ASLEEP!..." [half an hour later] "HE'S STILL ASLEEP! I'M SO HAPPY." I even called him a couple times at work just to tell him that Sullivan wasn't awake.

I recognize that this might seem a tad excessive but trust me, it's not. It's a couple hours in the middle of the day to myself to work or paint my nails or nap or read or lay flat on my back and find patterns in the stipple on the ceiling. Guys. (I'm just sitting here shaking my head. I guess I have no more words.)

3. My Recs app made it to Voting Week on Applits. Out of the 250ish entries, I came in second place and now the votes have been reset and the top 24 are on there until Saturday, when the top five will be sent on to a panel of judges. So, you know, if you want to vote for me again, I'd be so pumped about that. You can do that by clicking here, signing in using your Facebook account (I promise they don't post for you or steal your info or anything like that) and filling out a ballot. If you want. If you don't, that's okay too.

4. Some exciting and rewarding writing/work prospects have been coming up. I've been quiet here, but working my butt off elsewhere lately. It is really amazing how much joy I find in being busy, in having work to do and deadlines and all that. I just wasn't made to lay around and stare at the stipple all day (just part of some of the days).

5. A wonderful friend of mine, whom I've known since birth, is getting married this August and she's letting me doodle up her wedding invitations. I'm having so much fun with it - especially now that I have this extra couple of hours every day to actually sit and work on it without having to simultaneously read One Fish Two Fish and build a tower out of mixing bowls while cleaning rice puffs off the floor and picking sweet potato out of my hair. Guys. (I'm just sitting here shaking my head again.)

6. Other stuff, probably, too. But I really should go. I have approximately 15-30 minutes left of nap time and I have so much planned.

A list of things I hope to accomplish in the last 15-30 minutes of nap time:

1. Top coat of nail polish
2. Finish current episode of American Idol
3. Scan watercolour flowers for wedding invitations
4. Sweep the floor
5. Make lunch
6. Email someone about something (being vague on the Internet is fun)

13 comments:

magdalena said...

Wonderful about Sullivan's naps! And staying busy! xx

Unknown said...

I laughed a fair deal at this. It's going to be tricky getting on with what I'm doing now, and not reading this yet again.
http://aminorityofonelunacy.blogspot.co.uk/

Jen Glen said...

Texting hubby about sleep duration...I've totally done that! Who am I kidding? I STILL do that! Yeah for long naps!

Caitlin said...

Oh man. Amelia's nap schedule is all over the place right now. She used to nap only in the carrier, but lately she will only nap in the bed with me and I have to stay there the WHOLE TIME or she'll wake up. Your description of life during naps...it just sounds amazing. I hope we get there sooner rather than later.

Niken said...

too bad that the mc donald's coffee here is not good.
my heart feels the pain everytime i read the news lately. this world...

Anonymous said...

your weeks sound like mine, minus a child. which is kind of scary when you think about it :)

Suzy Krause said...

It is! It's all wonderful. Hope you're having an equally wonderful week. :)

Suzy Krause said...

Your comment made me smile, and I read it four times, so we're even?

Suzy Krause said...

THEY ARE AWESOME. it's a whole new world.

Suzy Krause said...

i know that pain, i really truly do. i'm cheering for you so hard. you will get here too. and when you do, you need to message me and we'll cheers over the internet.

Suzy Krause said...

it's not!? that's very sad; it's really good here (and i'm kind of a coffee snob).

and yes. this world. i literally cannot handle the news lately.

Suzy Krause said...

haha, that IS scary. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yay for naps! Totally understandable about crying at the news, there's so much devastating stuff going on. I try to keep away from it wherever possible. I've voted for your app, fingers crossed!! <3