Tuesday, December 02, 2014

{tuesday night mode}

I was in Tuesday Night Mode.

I was on the couch under a huge blanket with a bowl of chocolate chips and just the glow from the lamp and the laptop. Barclay was out, Sullivan was asleep. I was searching for something to listen to while I read. 

And that was when I fell down the rabbit hole that is the comments section of a YouTube video. 

Don't roll your eyes at me. I do know better than to read the comments section of a YouTube video. Usually. 

What can I say? I was in Tuesday Night Mode. 

So the video - don't judge me - was for the song Clean by Taylor Swift. A shocked murmur ripples through the crowd, I know. You're like, "Suzy, you hate Taylor Swift. Remember how you hate Taylor Swift? Remember that time you said, 'I hate Taylor Swift'?" Yeah. But I love Imogen Heap. And they did this song together and so I had to listen to it. My distaste for T Swift doesn't outweigh my love for I Heap. I feel like that's legitimate. 

(Side note: I actually really liked the song, which felt really surprising to me. And I liked some of the rest of the CD too. And then I listened to it a few more times and now I could go without ever hearing any of it again. I get it, but I don't get it. Anyway.)

I don't even remember why I read the first comment underneath the YouTube video. Like I said, I know that's a bad idea. There is something about the YouTube comment section that incites all kinds of rage and opining and horrible humanness that's just pointless to involve yourself in, but there I was. It was marvellous. And because I have nothing better to do, I'm going to tell you alllllllll about it.

The first few comments were left by some very confused Swifties. And fair enough, because if I recall correctly, her lyrics are usually like, "This famous guy dumped me, and I'm sad about it." But this song was all, "The butterflies turned to dust that covered my room and I punched a hole in the roof and there was a flood and I drowned and I'm clean now." If you're used to literal storytelling and then someone switches to metaphors without warning you, it can get weird. Example: I went to the grocery store to get bread. And the bread was butterflies and I punched a hole in the roof of the grocery store. Weird, yeah?

So I'm not judging anyone.

Yeah. That would.

Luckily, some smart people who like metaphors were hanging around.

I love that Batman was able to weigh in on this. In my head, I read it in that whispery Batman voice of his. He's very deep. I don't know if you noticed, but he went through something similar to Taylor Swift, but that's a long story, but if you wanted to know, you probably could just ask. People who allude to their past and then say, "But that's a long story," usually seem to not mind if you ask, I've noticed.

Which brings me to the next little crew of Swifties to pop up in the comment thread: the ones who GET IT. The ones who've LIVED IT. The ones who are typing their YouTube comments with one hand because the other hand is a clenched fist because they GET IT SO MUCH.


Think of this guys. Atlast. Some of us can understand this because we've *clenches fist* TOTALLY BEEN THERE. It's like an exclusive club. Like, don't even bother buying this CD if you haven't been there, because you won't understand it. You should stick with Carly Rae Jepson.


Christine gets it.

At this point, the comments section was feeling pretty sad. The confused people were still confused and will always be confused until something bad happens to them and the sad people were getting sadder thinking about how sad they were. So some random guy decided to hop in and made a joke. Because that is what the internet is for for some people. I think they just click around trying to find a place to type a joke.


Dear iLLSHa Cephied, we are having a hard enough time as it is with the butterflies and the hole in the roof. We cannot handle a rogue Ebola reference.

Meanwhile, further down the thread, a few of the more philosophical Swifties were still hashing out all of these dang metaphors.


Cynthia Feng. Thank you. That actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

Anyway. Someone else in the comments section remarked how similar this song sounds to The 1975's song Robber. (And, actually, it kind of is.) So I'm just going to wander over to Grooveshark and have a wee 1975 listening party. I'll probably fall asleep doing that.

Because I'm in Tuesday Night Mode.

6 comments:

larisaa said...

Ooooh, Suzy. You're killing me dead.

Thank you for this. You can make anything funny and anything worthwhile and I adore your blog too much. Hope you don't mind. Also, kind of have a love hate thing with T Swift. Liiiiike, why is it so bad? But why is it so catchy? I can't help myself. Please don't judge me!

Tess R. said...

This post made my night. :)

Suzy Krause said...

I definitely don't judge you. Because I've been belting out Welcome to New York all day. Ugh. We're in this together.

And thank you for being so nice all the time.

Suzy Krause said...

Aw! Thank you!

Unknown said...

HAHAHA...made the mistake of reading this at work, and was literally laughing out loud by the end! Thanks for that, dear :)

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA i am going to have to go listen to this song now