Thursday, August 07, 2014

{tea for two}


I got asked to, and I'm quoting here, "doodle on a teapot" for a charity auction on Sunday. I said yes, because I haven't had a strange assignment like that in a good long while and it sounded like fun.

I got the teapot and matching cups and saucers and some sharpies a few weeks ago, and then I set them on my desk and left them there. I was dumbfounded by them. They were white and smooth and fragile, and I was afraid to even pick them up, let alone color on them with markers. I know that it's a thing that people are doing these days--coloring on mugs or whatever and then baking them in the oven so that the artwork is permanent--but I hadn't counted on how intimidating the first bold black line would be.

And besides that, what's a person supposed to draw on a tea set? Something dainty, right? Tea is for dainty people. Refined people. People with polished English accents and high heels. You can't draw a garbage truck on a tea set.

In the end, I was inspired by a tree I saw in the park, which was covered in doilies. When I saw it I thought, "DOILIES. Duh."

Doilies are the daintiest.


So that's what I went with, and here (da da-da daaaaa) is the finished product. It only took me a couple of hours to actually do (after a million hours of deliberating), and I completed it while watching Rad, which is a movie from 1986 about BMX biking starring none other than Lori Loughlin (who you know as Aunt Becky from Full House) as a pro biker. (None of that information is very important, I guess.)

I'm super nervous to hand it over, as I always am with things like this, but I'm also pretty happy with how it turned out.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

I love them!

FIL said...

RAD is rad and I'm happy you watched it. Also, those are amazing.

Nova said...

Oh yeah!!! It looks great.

Tess R. said...

The whole set is stunning! Wherever these end up I'm sure their owner will be pleased as punch.

Magical Daydream said...

I love them! They turned out beautiful. I doodled on a teapot for a friend's birthday once, but it didn't turn out anything like yours (I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to draw straight lines on a curved surface)

Elise said...

Wow epic tea set! :)

Courtney said...

These are gorgeous! I'd be nervous to draw on porcelain with sharpie too, but mostly because I know I'd make some errant line or other mistake and want to scrap the whole project.

Kayla said...

Oh my HECK

Sarah said...

These are beautiful!

Suzy Krause said...

aw, thanks hailey! :)

Suzy Krause said...

thanks so much sarah!

Suzy Krause said...

hahaha

Suzy Krause said...

That's exactly what I was afraid of! There's no erasing sharpie marker or just crumpling up the teapot and starting over on a new one... NO ROOM FOR ERROR. Terrifying.

Suzy Krause said...

It was! Haha, Barclay and I giggled through the whole thing. Especially the bike dance scene. I love the 80s.

Suzy Krause said...

Thanks Novaroonie.

Suzy Krause said...

(Everyone calls you that, I bet.)

Suzy Krause said...

Aw, Thanks so much Tess! :)

Suzy Krause said...

I want to see yours!!

Suzy Krause said...

Thank you!!

Niken said...

i LOVE them!

Suzy Krause said...

Aw, thanks! :D