Thursday, July 24, 2014

{sully's first show}



I haven't been to a show since November. It was July Talk and Thomas D'arcy at the Club and I was standing behind a row of exceptionally tall guys who didn't really care at all if I got to actually see the show or not. Sometimes one of the musicians would climb up on top of an amp or something and I'd have a quick glimpse, but mostly I just listened. I wasn't mad about it or anything; that's just the way it goes when you see a show at the Club--five people get to see and everyone else gets to listen. It's really too small to be a venue. And yet...there we were. Again. Another band playing to a sweaty little clump of squished and squeezed rabble.

Anyway. The point is not that.

The point is that I've gone a ridiculously long time without seeing a show. Eight months, almost exactly. For someone who usually takes in a show every month for sure, and sometimes a show every week, and sometimes multiple shows in one week, this has been a sad stretch.

It's just that babies don't really like shows. They have little eardrums, babies do, and want to eat at super inconvenient moments and can't sleep with all that bass going on. So, out of respect for Sullivan, I have stayed home from shows for eight months.

You can understand, then, why I was so pumped about The Dead South's free concert in city square yesterday as part of the North American Indigenous Games happening in the city this week. I woke Sullivan up from his nap early and I plopped him in his stroller and I said, "Today! You! Are! Going to your first concert! And you're going to love every minute of it and not cry and not be hungry right in the middle of it and you can fall asleep if you want I guess but you should probably just stay awake and drink it in like mom's going to do. This is going to be great!"

"OR ELSE."

Success! He loved it! At least, he watched the whole thing with wide eyes and shed only one silent tear during a very intense banjo bit (which was either due to the emotion the musician expressed through his instrument or a blocked tear duct which sometimes makes Sullivan cry without actually crying). It was sweet. Definitely going in the baby book.


And I've got the itch for more.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY...Van's first show (I hope that you don't mind that I call him Van...I just think that's a cute nickname, but if you do mind, I promise not to call him that anymore) and he loved it! But look at who his parents are...he's destined to love music :)

Suzy Krause said...

Of course you can call him that! I do!
I believe that you should never name a kid a name for which you don't like the nicknames. I know someone who named their kid Kaitlyn but who hates the name Katy.
Side-eye for days...
;)

Mama Milly said...

That is awesome! We took all the kids including Liz (I think) to the David Crowder Band in Saskatoon when she was only a couple of months old and I don't know why I wasn't expecting it to be crazy loud! LOL! She and I walked around outside the main auditorium, where you could still hear it (although muffled) but I felt like her eardrums were safe!
I only barely knew his music when we went to that show and now whenever I want something a little different, that is my go-to! Any album really, but mostly Give Us Rest Or (A Requiem Mass In C [The Happiest Of All Keys]) because I like the title

Suzy Krause said...

That's the beautiful thing about live outdoor music--it's loud, but it's not ear-splitting loud. And you can sit further back and still see what's going on. Thumbs up!

I do love some David Crowder.